h1 + p targets the first paragraph after an h1 element.
First step is always validate the HTML & CSS. In this case you have a BOM
You do have one CSS error:
I also noticed that you have a lot of inline css which makes it harder to troubleshoot your pages as well as not using headings correctly.
FWIW, I don't like the way the menu you are using is coded.
The h1+p was suggested to me in the MS forum to fix a problem with a raised-cap effect that I was using. I'm no longer using it, so I got rid of the h1+p and that fixed the problem.
When you say "validate", are you referring to the Intellisense in EW, or are you using some other tool to do that?
I did a quick lookup on what BOM is. That's way over my head. I wouldn't know what ISO character set to use, so I will leave that alone for now. Plus, I don't see a place to change that with EW2 in Site>Site Settings.
I fixed the CSS error. Thanks.
RE: the inline CSS and incorrect use of h5, etc; I'm working on getting a handle on that. I know what you are referring to. I think this is related to my "work flow", or lack there of. I haven't really developed one, and often times I feel like I need a "plan", because of issues like this. I'm finding myself creating a lot of one-offs, because I'm figuring a lot of things out on the fly.
RE: the menu; I know what you mean, but I'm really stuck with this, for this website. I won't use it again. It's a EW addin that I bought. I just don't want to start from the beginning at this point, for a menu.
Thanks for taking time to help with this.